Two arrested over death of girl, 15, who had severe allergic reaction after eating Indian takeaway


Two workers at an Indian restaurant have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after a girl, 15, died from eating a curry.

Schoolgirl Megan Lee, 15, had a severe allergic reaction and died on January 1 this year, two days after eating the food.

The suspects, who worked at the restaurant near her home in Lancashire, are aged 37 and 38 and have been held over allegations of involuntary manslaughter by gross negligence.

Megan, described as a ‘Perfect Princess’, is believed to have had a nut allergy which led to her becoming seriously ill.

The aspiring actress was rushed to the Royal Blackburn Hospital but doctors couldn’t save her.

The full results of a post mortem examination are not yet known.

51 Hargreaves Road, Oswaldtwistle, Accrington, the address of 15-year-old Megan Lee, who died from an allergic reaction to takeaway food on New Year's Day. Picture: Cavendish Press
Megan’s home near Accrington (Picture: Cavendish Press)

In a statement Lancashire Police said: ‘Two men have been arrested as part of the on-going investigation into the sudden death of a girl from Oswaldtwistle.

’15-year-old Megan Lee had eaten food from an Indian takeaway in Hyndburn on Friday 30 December before suffering an apparent allergic reaction.


‘A post mortem examination to establish the cause of her death has taken place however the full results are still not fully known.

‘We are working closely in liaison with colleagues from Trading Standards and Environmental Health as part of our inquiries into Megan’s death. Her family are being kept fully updated with the progress of the investigation.

‘Our thoughts remain with the family of the girl at this extremely sad and difficult time.’

Facebook pictures from open profile of Megan Lee, from Accrington, Lancs, who died after suffering an alregic raction to a takeaway meal. Two men from a local Indian takeaway have been arrested on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter by gross negligence and are currently in police custody. Disclaimer: While Cavendish Press (Manchester) Ltd uses its' best endeavours to establish the copyright and authenticity of all pictures supplied, it accepts no liability for any damage, loss or legal action caused by the use of images supplied. The publication of images is solely at your discretion. For terms and conditions see
She was 15 years old (Picture: Cavendish Press)

Megan, from Oswaldtwistle, near Accrington, lived with father Adam, 35, a football coach, and finance company worker mother Gemma, 33, and was said to ‘touch the hearts of everyone she ever met’.

The keen actress was a member of the ReAct Academy of Theatre Arts drama school in Oswaldtwistle and starred in many of its shows including a role in its production of Les Miserables.

In a statement issued through police, her parents described her as ‘a role model, an inspiration, our princess, our Megan.

‘Our hearts are shattered at the sudden loss of our beautiful daughter.

‘Megan was the kindest, most loving daughter and sister, who always wore the most beautiful and infectious smile. May we kindly request that our privacy is respected at this devastating time.’

Her uncle Danny Lee, 38, said: ‘Princess Perfect. Without any exaggeration, the nicest person I’ve ever met and a reflection of wonderful and inspirational parents.’

Megan’s grandfather Steven Greenhalgh, 55, said: ‘Thank you from her proud grandad who was blessed with this lovely lovely young lady.’

In May last year Indian restaurant boss Mohammed Zaman, 52 was jailed for six years for manslaughter after customer Paul Wislon suffered a fatal anaphylactic shock in January 2014 having eaten a takeaway containing peanuts from the Indian Garden in Easingwold, North Yorkshire.

The court heard Zaman cut corners by using cheaper ingredients. A jury was told he switched almond powder for a cheaper ground nut mix, which contained peanuts.

Credit :Metro